Note: Post below article, CBDT has made few changes in guidelines. Refer article: Revised Forms (15CA, 15CB) and Rules for payment to Non Resident
Finance Act, 2008 inserted a new sub section (6) to section 195 effective from April 1, 2008, which requires the person responsible for making payment to a non-resident to furnish information relating to such payments in forms to be prescribed. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (“CBDT”) has now, by notification No 30/2009 dated March 25, 2009, prescribed a new rule 37BB in the Income Tax Rules, 1962 (“the rules”) prescribing Form 15CA and Form 15CB to be filed in relation to remittances to non-residents under section 195(6) of the Income Tax Act, 1961 (“the Act”). This new rule is effective from July 1, 2009 and shall apply to all remittances being made after July 1, 2009. The process that has to be followed, before any remittance can be made, is as under—
Step 1 : Obtain a certificate from a Chartered Accountant in Form No 15CB
Step 2: Electronically fill Form 15CA on NSDL site and submits it.
Step 3:Take Print out of Form 15CA with system generated acknowledgement number. The same must be signed by person authorised to sign the return of income of the remitter or a person so authorised by him in writing
Step 4: Submit in duplicate Form 15CA and Form 15CB along with Form A2 to Remitting Bank (Authorised Dealer)
Step 5: Bank makes the remittance
Step 6: Bank forwards a copy of undertaking (Form 15CA) and certificate of Accountant (Form 15CB) to Assessing Officer
CBDT Notification no. 30/2009 :-
In exercise of the powers conferred by section 295 read with sub-section (6) of section 195 of the Income-tax Act, 1961, the Central Board of Direct Taxes hereby makes the following rules further to amend the Income-tax Rules, 1962, namely:-
1.a These rules may be called the Income-tax (Seventh Amendment) Rules, 2009.
1.b They shall come into force with effect from 1st July, 2009.
2. In the Income-tax Rules, 1962, after rule 37BA, the following rule shall be inserted, namely:- “Furnishing of information under sub-section (6) of section 195.
37BB. (1) The information under sub-section (6) of section 195 shall be furnished by the person responsible for making the payment to a non-resident, not being a company, or to a foreign company, after obtaining a certificate from an accountant as defined in the Explanation to section 288 of the Income-tax Act, 1961.
(2) The information to be furnished under sub-section (6) of section 195 shall be in Form No. 15CA and shall be verified in the manner indicated therein and the certificate from an accountant referred to in sub-rule (1) shall be obtained in Form No. 15CB.
(3) The information in Form No. 15CA shall be furnished electronically to the website designated by the Income-tax Department and thereafter signed printout of the said form shall be submitted prior to remitting the payment.
(4) The Director-General of Income-tax (Systems) shall specify the procedures, formats and standards for ensuring secure capture, transmission of data and shall also be responsible for the day-to-day administration in relation to furnishing the information in the manner specified.
- Revised Form 15CA Format
- Revised Form 15CB Format, (PDF), Excel Format of Revised Form 15CB
- NOTIFICATION 67/2013 [SO 2659(E)] : Income-tax (Fourteenth Amendment) Rules, 2013 – Substitution of Rule 37BB and Form Nos. 15CA and 15CB Dated : 02-09-2013
- CBDT-Substitution of Rule 37BB and Form 15CA-15CB (Notification No 58/2013):Dated: 05-08-2013
- Form 15CA – Online
- Form 15CB
- Income Tax Circular : Remittances to non-residents
- Procedure for furnishing information in Form 15CA and Form 15CB
- Form A2